Thursday, June 14, 2012

"I go to seek a Great Perhaps" was the poet Francois Rabelais' last words, which are referenced many times by the author John Green, especially in Looking for Alaska.  John is one of my most favorite authors and a mind and soul that I admire and look up to.  The title of my blog, thus, is more a nod to him rather than Mr. Rabelais, whose work, I must admit, I have never encountered. 

Rabelais was likely referring to the hope of the afterlife, that mysterious idea of something new and wholly different.  But the Great Perhaps, or the idea of something better, something fulfilling, and whole and real, does not necessarily have to wait on us to pass through death to find it.  John's character in his book says he will not wait for death to find the Great Perhaps, but will search for it here in the present, "for real friends and a more-than-minor life..” Now, I'm not sure there is ever anything minor about anybody's life, but I know it can seem and feel like it, and surely there is wisdom in the drive to fulfill your potential, live life fully and joyfully, and to fulfill your purpose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment